Wyman Park Building

Building Description:

At the time of its construction in 1934, the 290-bed Baltimore Marine Hospital was the second largest marine hospital in the country. Established by Congress to provide care for "sick and disabled seamen", the Marine Hospital system eventually became the U.S. Public Health Service. It is famous for serving not just seamen, but also military families and retirees. When the federal government closed the Public Health Service hospitals in the 1980s, Wyman Park became a private institution that continued to treat military dependents and retirees, as well as members of the community. The Johns Hopkins Community Physicians continue to provide outpatient medical services on its lower floors, while the university occupies academic and administrative office space on the building's upper floors. The Institute for Policy Studies and Human Resources and Development offices are located here.