Whitehead Hall

Building Description:

Whitehead Hall was built between 1947 and 1948, was the first building at Johns Hopkins to be named after a living person. John B. Whitehead received a certificate of proficiency in applied electricity in 1893, an A.B. in 1898, and a Ph.D. in physics in 1902. He was instrumental in obtaining funding from the Maryland General Assembly to establish the Department of Engineering in 1913, which, in 1919, became the Whiting School of Engineering. Whitehead went on to teach electrical engineering until 1942. Whitehead was also dean of the Engineering School from its inception until 1938 and served as director of the school from 1938 to 1942. Attached to Whitehead Hall is the Power Plant.

Accessibility Features:

  • Average Restroom Lighting Survey score: 4.17 out of 5
  • At least one ADA compliant restroom
  • Restroom genders alternate by floor
  • Please note: This building has no ADA-compliant Men's restrooms