The Greenhouse

Building Description:

Upon being erected on the Homewood Campus of Johns Hopkins, the first building of many subsequent to the move of the campus from its former downtown location, the Greenhouse was actually utilized by the Biology department for the purposes of plant observation and experimentation. Constructed in two stages, one stage occurring in 1908 and the other between 1911 and 1912, the Greenhouse consists of the Biotanical Laboratory, the square brick structure at the east end of the actual greenhouse which contained "weeds used for purposes of study" and the Plant Physiology Laboratory, the brick building in the center of the complex utilized for the study of the physiology and other biological aspects of plants. However, although some of the greenhouses are still used to grow plants used in landscaping the campus, the Greenhouse as a whole is now home to the Writing Center, the Program in Latin American Studies, the Program for Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality, and various administrative offices.