Shriver Hall

Building Description:

In 1939, Alfred Jenkins Shriver, a local lawyer who specialized in estates and testaments, left the university the residue of his estate to build a lecture hall. According to the conditions of the will, the building's walls were to be adorned with murals depicting the Johns Hopkins class of 1891 (Shriver's graduating class), 10 philanthropists of Baltimore, 10 "famous beauties of Baltimore" (as chosen by Shriver), the original Johns Hopkins faculties of philosophy and medicine, the original boards of trustees for the university and hospital, and Baltimore clipper ships. Construction on the building was completed in 1954. Today, Shriver Hall houses the largest auditorium on campus. Students and community members visit Shriver to hear the Hopkins Symphony Orchestra and to enjoy movie screenings, symposia speakers, comedy shows, concerts, and other special events.

Accessibility Features:

  • Average Restroom Lighting Survey score: 3.36 out of 5
  • At least one ADA compliant restroom
  • Publicly-accessible All Gender/Unisex Single-stall Restroom (BT1, BT2, 100B)
  • Restrooms with Changing Tables (Women's T5/T5A)