Shaffer Hall

Building Description:

Built in 1965 with the intention of easing a critical classroom shortage, originally being known as the "Classroom Building", Shaffer Hall is composed almost entirely of classrooms, yet also houses the offices of the dean and directors of the School of Continuing Studies. In 1968, the building was named in honor of G. Wilson Shaffer (B.A. 1924, Ph.D. 1928), professor of physical education from 1939 to 1941, founder and director of the Homewood Physiatric clinic, and dean of the Homewood Schools from 1948 to 1967. Although Shaffer Hall features a large auditorium in the basement, used most often for lectures and film presentations, most of the space within the building remains dedicated to classrooms.

Accessibility Features:

  • Average Restroom Lighting Survey score: 3.88 out of 5
  • At least one ADA compliant restroom
  • Publicly-accessible All Gender/Unisex Single-stall Restroom (1st Floor near 100 and 103)
  • Lactation Room (309)