Nichols House

Building Description:

Nichols House, a two-story Georgian structure originally known as the President's House, was built in 1958-59. Its construction was funded with proceeds from the sale of an off-campus building formerly used as the President's house, as well as a large gift from Thomas Nichols. Nichols was the President of the Olin Mathieson Chemical Co. and a member of the University's Board of Trustees. Although it is traditional for Presidents to live in this house, in 1972 this practice was interrupted by the 10th President, Steven Muller. Until 1996, Nichols House was used for entertainment purposes and extra administrative offices. Today, it continues to serve as the private residence of Johns Hopkins' president.