Newton H. White Jr. Athletic Center

Building Description:

The Newton H. White Athletic, Jr. Center is home to the university's varsity sports teams. Between 1963 and 1965, the athletic facilities (an athletic field, a clubhouse, and grandstands) were expanded and renamed the Newton H. White Jr. Athletic Center, in honor of Captain Newton H. White Jr., whose widow made a large donation to Johns Hopkins for that purpose. White, a naval officer who commanded the aircraft career USS Enterprise before the Second World War, became interested in Johns Hopkins after reading a chemistry textbook by Ira Remsen. Having been educated in a one-room schoolhouse in Tennessee, White felt disadvantaged, and sought to help others overcome this obstacle. To achieve this, he instituted the Newton H. White scholarships in 1954, which provide an opportunity for needy students to attend Johns Hopkins.

Accessibility Features:

  • At least one ADA compliant restroom
  • Publicly-accessible All Gender/Unisex Single-stall Restroom (adjacent to lobby)
  • Restroom with Changing Table (adjacent to lobby)