Mergenthaler Hall

Building Description:

Mergenthaler Hall, constructed between 1940 and 1941, was built in honor of Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German immigrant who came to Baltimore in 1872. In 1884, Mergenthaler invented the Linotype, a system of copying which enabled publishers to produce longer newspapers. Mergenthaler's widow and son donated the money to erect this structure, which today houses the departments of Economics, Sociology, History of Art, and Political Science and International Relations Program. It is also the headquarters for the Dean and Administrative Offices of the Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences.

Accessibility Features:

  • Average Restroom Lighting Survey score: 3.33 out of 5
  • Please note: This building has no ADA-compliant restrooms