McCoy Hall

Building Description:

In 1965, this suite-style residence hall was dedicated to honor John W. McCoy. McCoy, a wealthy Baltimore merchant, first took an interest in Johns Hopkins in 1884. Upon his death in 1889, McCoy left the university his 8,000-volume library, his house, and approximately half a million dollars, the largest gift since Johns Hopkins' original bequest. The house served as the president's residence until 1898, and the money was used to build the original McCoy Hall, which held the humanities departments at the old downtown campus. Shortly after Johns Hopkins moved to the Homewood campus, the President's House burned down while vacant. Today's McCoy Hall is a suite-style residence hall primarily for sophomores, although in recent years it has also housed freshmen due to the increased class sizes. The building also features a music practice room, a game room, the offices of the student Internet radio station WJHU, and lounges on each floor, and a Multi-Purpose Room (MPR) on the ground floor.