Macaulay Hall

Building Description:

Funded by the National Science Foundation, the Office of Naval Research, and the Atomic Energy Commission, Macaulay Hall was constructed in 1963-1964 with the objective of providing facilities for the Department of Oceanography and for the Chesapeake Bay Institute. Macaulay Hall is named in honor of P. Stewart Macaulay (A.B. 1923, secretary of the university 1936-1942, provost 1942-1959, and executive vice president 1959-1966), who was instrumental in establishing both the Chesapeake Bay Institute and the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. Upon the Chesapeake Bay Institute's move to new facilities in Shady Side, Maryland, Macaulay Hall became dedicated Johns Hopkins University academic and administrative space in addition to becoming home to the Department of Anthropology.