Latrobe Hall

Building Description:

Constructed in 1915, Latrobe Hall was originally known as the Civil Engineering Building. However, in 1931, university trustees renamed the structure in honor of a prominent Marylander in order to recognize and demonstrate gratitude to the generous role the state of Maryland had played in the creation of the G.W.C. Whiting School of Engineering in 1912. This particular Marylander was Henry Latrobe, a chief engineer of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at the end of the 19th century and a prominent Marylander. Completely remodeled with a 10,000-square-foot addition in 1984-1985 and rededicated on September 9, 1985, Latrobe Hall is currently home to the Civil and Mechanical Engineering departments and now features the Haptic Exploration Lab, a facility that investigates how the sense of touch can enhance the ability of robots to interact with their environment.

Accessibility Features:

  • Average Restroom Lighting Survey score: 2.88 out of 5
  • At least one ADA compliant restroom