Carnegie Institution

Building Description:

The Carnegie Institution's Department of Embryology was founded in 1913 in affiliation with the Department of Anatomy at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Although the Department of Embryology is an independent research center focused on cellular, genetic, and developmental biology, it maintains close ties to the Johns Hopkins University's Department of Biology. In 2005, the Maxine F. Singer building was built on the western edge of the Homewood campus. It is named in recognition of former Carnegie president Maxine F. Singer's outstanding scientific leadership and her many contributions to society as a molecular biologist, scientific mentor, and educator.